This course aims to provide civil servants with the basic knowledge and understanding of the importance of perserving and conserving records at government Ministries, Departments and Agencies including government enterprises in order to maintain records as evidence and institutional memory. Participants will be exposed to matters related to the need for records preservation at Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies as well as records conservation concepts and methods.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Understand that records preservation begins at Government Ministries/Departments/Agencies
2. Gain basic understanding of concepts and methods related to records preservation and conservation
3. Preserve and conserve records at Government Ministries/Departments/Agencies meeting at least the minimum requirements in accordance with Section 8 of Service Circular No. 5/07.
Module 1 : Preservation of Records
1. Methods of keeping records
2. Enemies of records
3. Methods of proper handling of records
4. Civil servants' responsibility in preserving records
Module 2 : Concepts of Conservation
1. Damage identification.
2. Records cleaning methods
4. Materials and conservation tools
Module 3 : Preservation of Records (Practical)
1. Preparation of work materials and tools
2. Identification of damage/loss
4. Determination of restoration methods
8. Tissue and traditional repair
9. Pressing, assembly and resizing