The Sultan Ibrahim Building is the Johor State Central Administrative Building housing the Johor State Government Departments. Its unique design and location on Bukit Timbalan lends a distinctive identity to this historic building; a landmark to the city of Johor Bahru. The building was constructed on the decree of the Sultan of Johor, DYMM the late Sultan Ibrahim, as the administrative centre of the Johor State Government; a symbolising the supremacy of the Johor state government which was fast developing. Ever since the Johor administrative centre moved from Teluk Belanga in Singapore to Tanjung Puteri, (later renamed Johor Bahru) in 1866, the central government had never had its own building. With this new building, it enabled the state government offices to be placed under roof to make it convenient for the public to conduct official business with the Government.
The proposal to build this building began in 1929, but due to the economic downturn in 1930, the proposal was deferred. In 1937, a building plan designed by architects Messrs Palmer and Turner was accepted and approved. Consequently, on 7 November 1938, the Crown Prince of Johor, YAM Tunku Ismail (the Regent of Johor) officiated the land reclamation ceremony at the construction site to mark the commencement of construction work. On 10 March 1940, Tunku Mahkota Johor officiated the foundation stone laying ceremony. At the ceremony, the Johor State Government Mufti, Syed Alwi led the reading of prayers.
Circa 1941, the building construction work had to be stopped following the Second World War which spread to Malaya. The war affected several parts of the building walls that were still under construction. The walls overlooking the Straits of Tebrau were hit by artillery fire from the direction of Singapore. After the war, the construction work was continued by the contractors Messrs United Engineers and Ah Hong and Company under the supervision of architects Messrs Palmer and Turner. By the end of 1942 the eleven-storey building was completed at an estimated cost of RM2 million.
The uniqueness of the design and and architecture was a combination of Johor Malay, Islamic and Colonial architectural influence. At the front section, which is the middle hall, there is a floor painting depicting eight stars to symbolise the eight districts in Johor. While at the entrance there are carvings in the shape of a tower, and on the pillars there are attractive carvings of plant motif such as cloves and black pepper,signifying that they were once the two main produce of Johor.
The relocation of the other offices to the new building and the inauguration celebration were held on Tuesday, 3 November 2602, the 'Meiji Setsu Day' equivalent to 3 November 1942. This building, aside from housing the state government offices, also serves as the venue for the State Legislative Assembly meeting. In recognition to of the contribution made by the late Sultan Ibrahim, who decreed the construction of this building on 9 August 1982, the building was proclaimed as the Sultan Ibrahim Building by the reigning Sultan of Johor.
still stands majestically on Bukit Timbalan, witnessing the booming development of the city of Johor Bahru. Its function as one of the Government office buildings continues while it retains its original and interesting design.