- To produce Malaysian citizens with knowledge and passion in the National heritage.
- To keep and preserve the heritage treasury of historical value and significant to the country.
- To localise national archives and heritage.
- To make National Archives as a National Information Resource and Research Centre (PSPN).
- To collect, keep and preserve all archives records and materials from all over Kedah/Perlis which has historical and national value as well as to provide research and reference facility to the government agencies and the public.
- To assist the government in creating a systematic, effective and economical record management system especially for state/federal public office in the entire state of Kedah/Perlis
4. BRANCH FUNCTION
- To provide advisory service in relation to a systematic, efficient and economical record management for the state/federal public office in the entire state of Kedah/Perlis
- To trace, acquire and keep all types of records and documents which has national and historical value for permanent storage in the National Archives of Malaysia, Kedah/Perlis Branch in which it serves as a custodian to the archives records from state/federal public office in the entire state of Kedah/Perlis
- To process records that has been transferred by state/federal public office in the entire state of Kedah/Perlis for permanent storage in the National Archives of Malaysia, Kedah/Perlis Branch
- To carry out records conservation activities under the care of National Archives of Malaysia, Kedah/Perlis Branch as well as to monitor collection materials are in good and perfect conditions.
- To provide reference and research service to the public, students from institute of higher learning as well as government departments and agencies.
- To carry out expansion and educational archives activities in the effort to disseminate national heritage treasury collections under storage and custodian of the National Archives of Malaysia, Kedah/Perlis Branch