BACKGROUND OF THE ESTABLISHMENT
The Advisory Board of the National Archives of Malaysia was established on 20 July 1967 in accordance with the provisions of the National Archives Act No.44/1966 which was then known as the National Archives Law 1966, with the responsibilities "To advise the Director in dispensing his duties under this law, The Advisory Board comprising the Director as the Chairman and five other members shall be appointed by the Minister ". A total of five members were appointed by the Prime Minister at the time, who was the Minister for a period of three (3) years.
The first (1) National Archives Advisory Board meeting was held on15 July 1968 and chaired by Encik Alwi Jantan who was then the Director of the National Archives of Malaysia.
In August 2003, the National Archives Act was amended and Parliament passed the National Archives Act 2003 (Act 629) in which the functions of the National Archives of Malaysia have been extended in Act 629.
FUNCTIONS OF THE ADVISORY BOARD
In accordance with Part III, section 11 of the National Archives Act 2003, the National Archives of Malaysia is required to establish an Advisory Board that aims to -
- to advise the Director General on such matters as the Director General may from time to time refer to it; and
- to advise the Director General on such matters as the Board may think fit.
According to section 14 of the National Archives Act 2003, the Advisory Board of the National Archives of Malaysia shall consist of the following members –
- a Chairman, to be appointed by the Minister;
- the Director General; and
- not less than three (3) but not more than ten (10) other members, to be appointed by the Minister.
According to section 16 of the National Archives Act 2003, the term of appointment for each member of the Board except the Director General of National Archives of Malaysia shall not exceed 3 years. After the period ended, new members shall be appointed. Previous members may be eligible for reappointment if their service is needed as may be determined by the Minister.
According to section 19 of the National Archives Act 2003, if a member other than the Director-General is no longer a member of the Board, the Minister may appoint another person to fill the vacancy, for the remainder of the period for which the vacating member was appointed.
LIST OF ADISORY BOARD MEMBERS OF THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES OF MALAYSIA
- YB. Datuk Hajjah Raya Erom (Chairperson)
- YB. Dato' Sri Kamaruddin bin Siaraf
- YB. Puan Hajah Daresah binti Hj Ismail
- YB. Tan Sri Dato' Hj. Alimuddin bin Hj. Mohd Dom
- YB. Tan Sri Ab. Kadir bin Mohamad
- YB. Dato' Sri Abd Ghafar bin Mahmud
- YB. Prof. Datuk Dr. Zainal bin Kling
- YB. Prof. Datuk Dr. Abdullah Zakaria bin Ghazali
- YB. Puan Nor'aini binti Abdul Razak