Masjid Kampung Hulu (Kampung Hulu Mosque) is located at the junction of Jalan Masjid Kampung Hulu and Jalan Masjid in the heart of Malacca city. This oldest mosque in Melaka was built circa 1720 to 1728 during the occupation of Malacca by the Dutch East India Company (VOC). A Chinese immigrant who converted to Islam, Datuk Samsuddin Arom, was assigned by the Dutch ruler to build the mosque. Its original architecture was renovated by vizier Al-Sheikh Omar Hussain Al-Attas. The architecture of the mosque which displays typical characteristics of mosques in Java has a three-tier, pyramid-like roof.
(Source: Documentation Section, National Archives of Malaysia)