Masjid Melayu Lebuh Acheh (Lebuh Acheh Malay Mosque) is considered the oldest mosque in Penang. The history of Lebuh Acheh Malay Mosque began in 1792 when Tengku Syed Hussain Al-Aidid, a member of the Acheh royal family from Sumatera founded a Muslim community village with an area of 66,000 sq feet at Lebuh Acheh in George Town. The mosque was built in 1808 A.D. with its Moorish, Chinese and classical architectural influence. Its five-ridged roof has a minaret that is akin to a Chinese pagoda.
(Source: Documentation Section, National Archives of Malaysia)