Masjid Negeri Pulau Pinang (The State Mosque of Penang) was built on a 11-acre land at the junction of Jalan Air Itam and Jalan Masjid Negeri. The idea for its construction was mooted by the Prime Minister, YTM Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra. The land breaking ceremony was officiated by the TYT Yang Dipertua of Penang Tun Datuk Haji Sardon bin Haji Jubir on 12 January 1976. The design of the mosque was prepared by the Road Works Department of Penang . The mosque has a tower of 170 feet high symbolising the principals of Islam through the five towering pillars. The opening ceremony was officiated on 29 August 1980 or 18 Syawal 1400 Hijri by His Majesty DYMM SPB Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musata'in Billah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Abu Bakar .
(Source: National Archives of Malaysia)