- To produce Malaysian citizens with knowledge and passion in the National heritage.
- To keep and preserve the heritage treasury of historical value and significant to the country.
- To localise national archives and heritage.
- To make National Archives as a National Information Resource and Research Centre (PSPN).
- To collect, keep and preserve all archives records and materials from all over Penang which has historical and national value as well as to provide research and reference facility to the government agencies and the public.
- To assist the government in creating a systematic, effective and economical record management system especially for state/federal public office in the entire state of Penang
4. BRANCH FUNCTION
- To provide advisory service in relation to a systematic, efficient and economical record management for the state/federal public office in the entire state of Penang
- To trace, acquire and keep all types of records and documents which has national and historical value for permanent storage in the National Archives of Malaysia, Penang Branch in which it serves as a custodian to the archives records from state/federal public office in the entire state of Penang
- To process records that has been transferred by state/federal public office in the entire state of Penang for permanent storage in the National Archives of Malaysia, Penang Branch
- To carry out records conservation activities under the care of National Archives of Malaysia, Penang Branch as well as to monitor collection materials are in good and perfect conditions.
- To provide reference and research service to the public, students from institute of higher learning as well as government departments and agencies.
- To carry out expansion and educational archives activities in the effort to disseminate national heritage treasury collections under storage and custodian of the National Archives of Malaysia, Penang Branch